Sunday, September 15, 2013

I'm Gonna Do It! But I need your help!

For years, I've had this idea for an art/photo/release project.  For two years... I've just let it be that- and idea in my sketch book.  I never acted on it, I never REALLY tried to make it happen.  But that's just the thing- it needs to happen.  It needs to become a reality. 

My idea is this (and I fully claim the rights to this- so don't steal):  I want to do a 3D photography piece about addiction.  I want to represent as many addictions as I possibly can in this piece.  And then I'm litterally going to break the addiction (i.e. if it's alcohol- then I'll represent it in my picture with beer bottles (or IBC rootbeer bottles) and in the picture I will show at least one broken bottle, then after I print it I'm going to glue pieces of the broken glass onto the canvas, and I'm going to do that with each addiction that I represent)  I then am going to wrap the canvas in barbed wire.
Here's the thing though, I need some help: 

  • I need to acknowledge as many addictions as I can so if you have more than what is listed here, then please share in comments, also share how you would represent them:
    • Alcohol
    • Prescription pills
    • Pornography
    • Tobacco (still don't know how to represent)
    • Violence (don't know how to legally represent yet either)
    • Eating disorders (not sure how to represent either)
    • Illegal drug use (I also don't know how to legally or accurately represent this either)
  • I also need to know where to get some supplies for cheap:
    • Barbed wire (also how do I make it look rusted and how do I best attach it to canvas without wrapping it around the back because I don't want it to scratch walls when it's hung up)
    •  Canvas prints
    • Alcohol/liquor looking containers (not IBC rootbeer bottles; remember I'm not legal (nor do I want) to buy alcohol
    • An old computer monitor (I'm talking like the really old ones, not the flat LCD screens)
  • Location is everything.  Where do you think this would be best represented?  Any Ideas?
    • An Idea that I have is that I want to represent it in front of a graffiti covered wall. 
I have an idea of what I want to do with it afterwards, which was a good portion of my actual problem of carrying it out. After I'm done I want to donate it to my local college wellness and counseling program.  You see they do a "Gallery Walk" and show various art to represent different topics that most people don't want to talk about (mostly sexual assault, mental illnesses etc) but I feel like addiction is something that totally effects college age students whether they want it to or not. 

It's something that needs to be talked about- and I'm gonna do just that.  I'm gonna start talking because too many people struggle with these serious problems and need or want help but don't know how to get it.

Lastly, I'm gonna do it because I need to release all that I'm feeling, but I don't know how to do it with words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment