Recently, I've been placed in a hard position. A girl at my high school passed away. Stephanie was only 16 years old and a sophomore. I didn't know her but I've heard so many amazing things about her from my younger friends. She was on the swim team, so nice, a great listener, and so much fun to be around. After reading several Facebook statuses about her, I had the impression to call Sarah, one of my best friends, more like a sister really. She told me about her connection with Steph. I listened to Sarah tell me about an amazing girl, and I listened to her mourn her loss.
I also mourn, not because I knew Stephanie Rodriguez but because the world needs more people like her, and I'm devastated that someone as young as her, who had so much potential and so much good to offer, lost her life so early. As I've tried to be a good friend to Sarah, and comfort her through this time, I've learned so much about myself. I've learned that I'm happier than I think I am in life. I've learned that I love people so much and that I definitely have a blue personality. And I've learned that I would be so completely lost without the Plan of Salvation.
The last few months I've had more opportunities than I care to think about to deal with death. A few months ago my favorite uncle passed away from cancer. The cancer was a result of being exposed to Agent Orange while diligently serving his country in Vietnam. A few months before that Mushi, one of my friends from high school, passed away also while serving his country. Up until that point death had seemed so far off, so distant, and so surreal, even though I had attempted a few times to take my own life. But the realization that someone could die that was my age or so close to my age really set in when Mushi gave the ultimate sacrifice. It's a hard thing to comprehend; it's hard to take in the fact that it could have been you.
When I first heard about Mushi I cried. I couldn't even imagine how his parents were taking it, I couldn't even imagine being his mom and getting that knock on the door. Just as similar, I feel that way about Steph. I couldn't even imagine being her parents and finding out that your daughter was killed in the same accident that you lived through. I couldn't imagine being her best friend and knowing that when I hugged her after school yesterday would be the last time I would see her alive. And I couldn't imagine being her swim coach and getting the call, probably, from one of your swimmers that she had passed away.
Death is a hard thing for anyone to go through. It's hard to understand that it's all a part of a greater plan of happiness. It's hard to think of your life without that special person. The truth is that no matter the situation it's always going to be hard. However, there is comfort in knowing that they are in a better place, where they no longer hurt and no longer suffer in this Telestial state. How great and joyful will that day be, when we meet again on the other side? Death is a hard thing to handle, it is hard to comfort someone who is mourning the loss of a loved one, but it is important to remember that death will also bring so much joy so long as that person has kept their life in order.
No comments:
Post a Comment