So the other day I was sitting in sacrament meeting, and this guy gets up to talk. He was talking about getting out of sin and different things like that. And he read a few scriptures to get give us some ideas on how to overcome temptation and sin. I just thought I'd share two that hit me pretty hard.
The first comes from Mark 8:22-26. The blind man is like us. His blindness is his sin/temptation. he struggles to see the lord in his life. However, when he puts his trust in the Lord and has faith in his power and divinity, he can be healed ("forgiven") of his sin. Once he is forgiven Christ tells him not to go back to the town or townspeople which can be equivalent to "don't go backwards in your progress, don't go back to your sins/temptations." We need to be like the blind man, we need to learn to trust in the Lord, knowing that he can and will heal us. He loves us, and wants us to come unto him.
The second comes from Alma 46:8. This one it talks about how quick the people forget the Lord. When we forget the Lord, we tend to fall back into sin, we no longer see the bigger perspective, but the here and now. One thing that I learned from this scripture is instead of being quick to forget Him, be quick to remember Him. When we remember Him, it is easier to choose the right, we see others as he does, and we keep doing the things we know we should such as praying, and studying the scriptures. It actually really surprised me as I was thinking about this the last few days and my friend posted a video on her blog that totally fit this. I swear, none of this was planned, but it just worked out. Check out her video Here.
One last thing I want to share, this time I picked it up in a Q&A session in mission prep. The question came up that addressed the issue of forgiving yourself. Brother Scholes told us that if this is a problem for us, which for some it is a problem more often than for others, that we should pray everyday with a specific question. We should ask the Lord everyday, "do you love me?" If you do this everyday until you get an answer, and then you believe the answer you get, you should have no problem forgiving ourselves. If the Creator of the Universe can love you, and forgive you of your mistake, then you should be able to do the same for yourself. Another thing that he said that I really liked was, "we're not trying to earn heaven, we're trying to learn heaven." This is meaning that we are not here to earn our place in heaven, that has been done and sacrificed for by the Savior. However, we are here trying to learn about heaven and know what we can, if we learn of heaven we then can be comfortable in His presence. And if we can be comfortable in His presence then in turn, we have earned heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment