Monday, April 29, 2013

Goodbyes

It's finals week!  We all know what that means.  Lots of studying, lots of partying, lots and lots of junk food, cleaning, and of course oodles of goodbyes.  I always thought that I was good at goodbye- because I never cry.  But I think that's my problem- I NEVER cry, I just hold it in.  I hold every ounce of hope that this isn't really goodbye. 

This last year I had the opportunity of working as layout editor for my college's newspaper.  When I took the position I thought of it as only that- it was only something I did to keep my scholarship.  I never knew that I would make some of the greatest friends there.  I never knew that I would miss the girls on senior staff as much as I am begining to (and it's not even summer yet). 



I learned a lot from the wonderful women that I found myself surrounded by nearly everyday.  I learned that it could always be worse off than it really is.  I learned that patience is key to EVERY relationship.  One girl taught me that sometimes God gives you two good things and tells you to pick.  I've learned that the future can be a bright and wonderful thing- there is so much good ahead.  I've learned that sometimes you just have to trust yourself and other times you have to let others fail so that they'll learn. 

The hardest thing for me to do this year is to say goodbye as we all go off on various paths.  It's hard knowing that these girls came into my life at a time that I needed them most.  I don't think any of them know what kind of a struggle I've faced this last semester- and they don't need to know.  But they should know that they were part of the solution- they were part of my new life. 

So while yes, goodbye is hard.  Goodbye is also good.  I'm saying goodbye to incredible girls who are off to bigger and better things.  And, well, so am I.  I am off to bigger and better things.  This isn't only goodbye to people, but it's a goodbye to my old life and a hello to new opportunities and adventures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment