Tuesday, September 11, 2012

{Where Were YOU?}

"Where were you?"  It's a common question, and especially common throughout history when traumatic, or important things happen.  (i.e. The United States announcement of joining WWII, The Berlin Wall falls, Kennedy's Assassination, D-day, September 11, 2012) 

Where were YOU eleven years ago?

Eleven years ago today, I was waking up to attend yet another dreaded day of 3rd Grade.  At approximately 7:15 AM my brother comes running into my room saying, "Melinda, Melinda, do you want to see something really cool?"
Me adoring my brother as I did said, "YEAH!"
"Get dressed then come to living room."

 Once I entered the living room I watched on the news a plane fly into a tower.  I remember the video of the plane was in black and white, or maybe it just seemed like all the color had been sucked out of the world that day. 

"What's going on?  Why'd they do that?"
Mom answered, "I don't know."

The rest of the morning was spent with all of us glued to the TV watching the same videos over and over again.  At school it was all that we could focus on, we had a special assembly, and periodically throughout the day we would gather to the Kivas and watch the T.V.

We wondered if perhaps it was an emergency drill sort of because the date being 9-11 also being the same numbers for the emergency phone number (AKA 9-1-1.)

We had no idea, but I do remember the feelings.  The pure fear and un-surity, not knowing what was going on. 

Where were you Eleven years ago today?  What's your story?  Please feel free to share with me below in a comment, in email, or on your own blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment