This post has been a work in progress for a very long time. It has taken a lot of thought because I wasn't exactly sure where this all was going way back in June, but somehow throughout the course of many weeks and different writing sessions, my message has become very clear to me. So here it goes:
In the last few months, and the last few years I have come a long, long way. I have changed in so many ways. My personality, viewpoints, ideas, ways of thinking, thought process, habits, friends and so much more has changed, and not for the bad either.
In the last few months I've found that my struggle with depression has been much, much easier. I find myself in more times of pure joy, with more things to be grateful for, and even happy and pleased with myself. I feel like I'm beginning to see glimpses of myself the way that God sees me. I think a large part of that is because I keep myself busy, but also because I try to find the best in others.
I'm always looking for something good in others. I spent a weekend in June camping in the mountains of WY and UT with one of my bestest friends- who came from a hard background that I know I wouldn't have been strong enough to deal with myself- in the whole world, and while there I realized that I don't care about people's sins or backgrounds. I will always love them for the person they are, even if I don't agree with what they believe. I believe we all have Christ-like traits about us, after all we are destined to be gods/godesses someday, so why couldn't we possess a God-like trait now?
I believe that one of my God-like traits (GLT) is the ability I have to love people no matter what, and to see the good in them, and to attempt to help them to see the good in themselves. If you know me then you know that all too often, I will spend so much time trying to make other people happy, and to make them feel good about themselves. What most people don't realize is while, according a close friend, I'm able to make so many other people happy..... I myself.... am not very happy myself. This friend explained this concept to me in the idea of cookies....yes I had to find someway to work cookies into this, I love cookies. :)
So you know when you're little and you have a friend and you have two cookies, one for them and one for you. And when you're younger (and perhaps even as you're older) you always try to keep the biggest cookie for yourself, and give your friend the smallest. She explained it to me that I give others the biggest cookie, and keep the smaller one for me.
I never thought about it like that before. But I guess its true, I innately try to make people happy without even realizing it, or without taking into consideration my own happiness. Now don't get me wrong I do not say this to brag, and make me look like some amazing person, because I am not. I say this only as an example.
We all have some form of God in us, because well- We come from God. You know how you have some form of your parents in you (good looks, talents, temperment, or other traits if nothing else then at least DNA), well it's the same with God. Have you considered lately what your GLT (and no, it is not like a BLT, a BLT is a sandwich, this is much better. Hard to believe I know.) Anyway, Have you considered what your GLT is?
Perhaps it is that you're patient, that you are good at problem solving, or maybe it's that you work well with others, that you enjoy learning, perhaps you are one to ALWAYS give the big cookie away, or are talented in one area or another. Whatever it is that He has blessed you with, perfect it. Become better at it. Let that quality shine within you. If you do this humbly, for the sole reason of becoming closer to Him, then you in turn will bring others closer to Him, and you will bring those who are wandering back to Him.
He needs YOU! He needs YOU to bring them back. He needs YOU to come back. Our Savior and Heavenly Father love us so much, and they want us to come back within their whispering distance. They NEED you, and they WANT you to feel loved, to be happy, and to know that you are cared for.
It is through this GLT that I have been given that I have become closer to my Savior. I have learned how to trust in Him, and I have learned that I am not alone. I am never alone. He has helped me through some enormous amounts of anxiety and depression issues, through boy troubles, through family drama, and friend struggles. He has become the best teacher in my life; and all because I decided to develop my GLT.
Now, I challenge you to find your GLT and to perfect it, and see what it can do for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment