Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Room for Improvements

This week I've spent a lot of time reflecting on who I am and what I want in my life.  I think there comes a point where we all have to reflect upon our lives and decide on some changes for the better.  It's been nice to be home for a few days, and just to relax not really having to do much, and not worrying about homework or what test/project is coming up.

I feel like this time in between the semesters is my time to rest, to enjoy the little blessings around me, of which I've missed out on for the last four months.  I feel that it's the time to celebrate family and friends which I do not see often.  I love the peace and calm that comes from being home, and the love that I am surrounded with.

I've spent time these last few days thinking about who I am, have been, and want to become.  It's interesting to see how I've changed in just the last six months, but even more so in the last five years.  I think there comes a point in everyone's life that we must evaluate how we're doing.  I think I'm doing good, but I can always do better and strive for higher goals.  So I ask you, reader, have you evaluated your life lately?  Have you seen what you are doing good at, what could use some improvement, and what needs to take a 180 degree turn?

Maybe we don't notice those things that could use that U-turn in our lives.  I feel as if we must all think about how we treat our family, our friends, and even our acquaintances.  Many times we forgive our acquaintances of minor mistakes, but for the same mistake we remain upset with a member of our family for a while.  Shouldn't we treat our family with the same respect and kindness that we do a stranger? No, not just the same but with MORE respect, love and kindness. Perhaps we, as a society, ought to be a little more forgiving, a little more patient, and a lot more cheerful.

Have you considered lately, the things that bring you joy? Does joy for you come through material things or money? Or does it come through service, positive thoughts, and spending time with loved ones? I find lately that as I try to give a small act of service each day, that I am happier.  As I've learned to cherish the relationships that I have with my family, I am kinder towards them.  Not only does this make me kinder towards my family, but towards people I meet at the store, walking down the street, or maybe in the library.  Someday I hope that this will become a second nature, everyday occurrence.  I hope that someday the outcome of these small choices, will change those around me for the better; and make people want to be around me because of how they feel when they are around me. 

And so I ask again reader, have you evaluated your life lately?  Have you found the good in yourself? And the things to improve upon? You are doing good, but you can always do better!  Don't give up on yourself, keep moving forward! And so today as I leave you, I want to share this video, from a good friend of mine, with you. You got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment