Sunday, April 17, 2011

Divine Roles

The last little while I've had that distinct feeling that I really do have God sent divine roles.  I've felt the importance for motherhood.  As I listened to the YW General Broadcast session of General Conference this last month.  Sister Dalton talked of holding a young infant in her arms knowing that she came from God.  She talked about the feelings that she had, and in that instant I felt something similar to what she must have felt.  Later, as I carefully went throughout my days caring for others and loving them.  I again had this feeling.  It kept returning as I served others, observed little ones while I was at work, Held and cared for Kitiara and Kory and read my scriptures.  Many times it returned.  As conference approached and I listened to Mormon messages online, and read my scriptures, I felt as if we have all been given divine roles to be fulfilled, I'd always known this but it didn't ring true until this time.  Soon these feelings were not just about children, but about my future spouse.  I began finding qualities that I would like in a spouse, and qualities that I want in myself as a wife and mother.  I listened to conference and was touched by many talks involving marriage, the preparation thereof and the knowledge that we are children of God.  I was especially touched by the tenderness of Elder Scot and Elder Holland's talks.  These were the type of men that I wanted to marry.

Along with these feelings came the wondering of why.  Why did my Father feel the need to help me understand it's importance.  Why did I need to know that I would raise my children in the gospel?  What are their potentials?  How can I help them reach that?  Who would my kin grow up to be?

A few weeks after conference while helping my friend's sister move I again had the opportunity to hold a crying baby.  While my two friends worked, I calmed the crying and began to bounce and rock back and forth.  These actions eventually put him to sleep, while I was holding him Margie turned to me and said, "you're going to be a great mom."  This assurance calmed much of the fear and inadequacy that resides in my heart.  It was an interesting experience for me.  It seemed strange that I could take a baby and not even knowing his name, calm him and almost put him to sleep.  My divine nature is truly grown with these experiences.

I want to be the best mom and wife I know how.  It's going to be hard work, but it'll be worth it.  I know that families are together forever and the peace that piece of knowledge is tremendous.  The Savior died for us that we might be the best we can, and so that some day we will live again with our exalted families.  The feelings of our divine worth are important.  They remind us of who we are and how we can become bigger and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment