Thursday, March 17, 2011

Understanding the Present

D&C 4:4      So basically as I look back on my Sr. year so far, I believe this scripture is the one that describes it the best.  I never would have thought that at the beginning of the year I could be a missionary, but now I'm beginning to understand why I made some of the choices I did, and what I've gained from it.

I don't think I lost anything at all when I quit band, and made some of my friend choices, and various other choices.  I gained a better perspective at life, a new vision if you will, of who I am and who I can become.  Through the thick of it all, I've faced some difficult challenges, but I think the reason why is because my Heavenly Father knows that I can bear them.  And I think the temptations that I faced because of those challenges was Satan trying to pull me astray.  He knows that if he can get me, he can keep others from the gospel.  I'm so very grateful for all that I have.  I'm thankful for one of my best friends who, even though she can't be baptized at this time, keeps the faith and teaches me everyday with her testimony.  She is surly teaching her family through her actions what the gospel is really all about.

She's asked me several times if I've been inside the temple, and I've answered yes.  She loves the temple, she's never set foot inside one, until yesterday.  I had the idea on Monday to take her to the temple and just go inside the waiting room and just sit for a while.  So I asked her if she wanted to go for an adventure after school on Wednesday with me, she said sure.  She begged, and begged for me to tell her where we were going, and I just gave her answers like, "You'll see." and "somewhere amazing." when she pressed for more I told her to just bring a skirt and promised her that she would like it.  Well Wednesday came and she forgot a skirt, I said it was okay.  She asked if she really needed one, I said well it would be nice and make it feel less awkward but it's okay.  She asked if I was going to change into mine, I told her no because I didn't want her to feel singled out.

The whole way there she kept trying to get me to tell her where, I finally said if you can guess I'll tell you if you guess right.  About the time we hit the MTC and were about to turn up the hill she got it.  I took her with me, and we went inside the waiting room, It took some assuring that it was okay that we were in plain clothes.  As we walked through the doors, a particular feeling smacked me right in the face.  It was definitely the spirit, I hoped she could feel it too.  As we sat, I understood how important temples are, and how much I've taken it for granite.  Here was a young woman, who wanted more than ANYTHING to be baptized, and to someday go into the temple.  And yet, I was the one who had this opportunity handed to me, and basically force fed.  I learned a lot in that 5-10 minutes we were inside.  I didn't want to leave the feeling that was there.

Soon after we climbed back into the car and headed back.  I asked if she felt the spirit, she said yes, and then proceeded to tell me how as you walk closer and closer to the temple it gets stronger and stronger.  I'd never noticed that before, but it was true.  We talked for a bit, then sat in silence for a little also.  I'm so grateful for her.  I've learned more about the gospel in the last 7 months, than in the last 2 years, granted She has taught me the most about the gospel in the last 5 months.


I hope to someday attend her and her family's baptisms.  I hope that someday her family will be able to come to terms with her decision, and she the pure joy that she has found in it.  I hope that they will accept the gospel as well and be sealed for time and all eternity in the temple.  I know that the church is true and that someday everybody will have the chance to either receive it or reject it.  I hope that most if not everyone is on the receiving end; the church has so much joy and happiness to offer!  I think that's what I love most about the gospel is that it's all about making us happier. 

Who knew that this year I would really be able to gain perspective of what it means in D&C 4:4 when it says "the fields are white, already to harvest." I can truly testify of the truthfulness of this scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment